Close this search box.
header logo

How To Apply for Express Entry to Canada​

The Express Entry (EE) immigration program helps those who are eligible to expedite their immigration process towards Canadian Permanent residence. Watch this video for more information. You can also proceed to fill out our immigration assessment form and we’ll get back to you within 24 hours to discuss your eligibility and options. If you are interested in Canadian Permanent residence, read ahead to learn more.

Call: +1 416-417-1903


|| Express Entry ||

What is Express Entry?

Express Entry is a new electronic immigration system that offers a faster immigration pathway to permanent residency in Canada for skilled and qualified immigrants. In January 2015, the Canadian Government launched this new Express Entry program to manage permanent residency applications for immigrants who can fill jobs where there is a lack of available skilled Canadian workers.

Every year, thousands receive permanent residency in Canada 

Canada requires new immigrants to meet future labor market needs and to help ensure the country’s long-term economic prosperity and growth. The Canadian Government has recognized that the new system will allow Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to assess, recruit and select immigrants proactively, who are skilled and/or possess the relevant qualifications under Federal economic immigration programs.

Number of Immigrants Receiving PR Through Express Entry

|| Different Types of Federal Economic Immigration Programs ||

The Express Entry program allows provinces and territories to use the system to recruit suitable candidates as part of the Provincial Nominee Programs (PNP) in order to meet labor market demands. Employers play a key part in selecting economic immigrants, and they can access suitable candidates through Canada’s recently improved Job Bank, as well as the relevant provinces and territories where applicable.

Shersom is the perfect place to start your immigration journey.

|| How to qualify for Express Entry ||

Before applying for Express Entry you will need to meet certain criteria. For example, to qualify under the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSW), you will require a minimum of 67 points on a 100 point scale system. There is a selection factor that assesses and assigns applicants interested in the Express Entry program an overall score out of 100. 

Language Skills (28 points)

Canada’s official languages are English and French. It’s very important to be able to communicate in one or both of them. Knowing English or French or both helps you in the Canadian job market. You will need to provide proof that you passed a recent English or French test from an approved institution. 

Education (25 points)

If you schooled in Canada, you must have a certificate, diploma or degree from a Canadian school. If you schooled in a foreign institution, you should plan to carry out an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) for immigration purposes, from an approved issuing organization.

Work Experience (15 points)

For Express Entry, under the Canadian Experience Class (CEC), you can get points for the number of years you’ve spent doing full-time paid work (at least 30 hours per week, or an equal amount of part-time [15 hours per week for 24 months]) at skill type 0, or skill levels A or B of the National Occupational Classification. Contact us to find out more!

Age (12 points)

Points will be awarded to you based on your age on the day we receive your application.

Arranged Employment in Canada (10 points)

If you have a job offer of at least 1 year from a Canadian employer, you’ll be awarded points under this category. You must get the job offer before you apply to come to Canada as a Federal Skilled Worker. If you’re already working in Canada, you’ll receive points under this category.

Adaptability  (10 points)

Both you and your spouse or common-law partner immigrating together to Canada can earn points for adaptability. You both can earn a maximum of 10 points by combining certain elements. These elements assess how well you and your spouse are likely to settle quickly in Canada.

|| How Express Entry Works ||

Step 1

Potential candidates fill out an online Express Entry form.

Eligible candidates for the Express Entry Canada program can complete an online profile which will include various details about themselves. Candidates who successfully meet the criteria of one or more of the Federal Economic Immigration programs under Express Entry will then be put into a pool of eligible individuals. Those with higher rankings in the pool will receive a formal invitation to apply for permanent residency.

This method allows Canada to pick the best possible candidates who are likely to go on to achieve success, rather than random selections. Candidates who do not have a valid job offer or provincial/territorial nomination are encouraged to sign up to the Canadian Government’s Job Bank, to improve their chances of arranged employment from eligible Canadian employers. There is no guarantee that candidates in the pool will receive the ITA  for permanent residency, as this is usually determined by their score ranking and other factors mentioned above (offer of employment, provincial/territorial nomination). After one year, candidates in the pool are removed.

Step 2

Successful candidates will receive an ”Invitation To Apply” (ITA) and will be requested to submit all relevant documents for their permanent residency application. 

Those ranking highly in the pool will then be invited to apply for permanent residency. They have a total of 60 days to submit their electronic application. Electronic applications will be required to be submitted under one of the following programs: Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP), Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP), Canadian Experience Class (CEC).

After a year, those not invited to apply for permanent residency will have their profile removed. However, they may submit a new profile and re-enter the pool, provided they are still eligible for the program. IRCC does this to prevent backlogs and allow for quicker processing and turnaround times.  This program enables the Canadian Government to respond quicker to Canada’s evolving economic conditions and changing priorities, and  flexibility is increased.

Step 3

Processing Times For Express Entry Applicants

Each ITA draw whether it is through a Provincial Nominee Program or Express Entry will have a minimum CRS score and those with a ranking CRS score higher than the one published, will receive an invitation to apply (ITA) for permanent residency. Once an ITA is received, there is a 60 day period where you must submit all the required supporting documents for your application. There are steps to follow after receiving an ITA, including a chance to accept or deny the ITA.

Step 4

Receiving an AOR (Acknowledgement Of Receipt)

Once your PR application has been submitted through the online portal, an Acknowledgment of Receipt (AOR) will be issued. The AOR confirms the creation of your application file.

|| Who is eligible for Express Entry ||

It is of no surprise that you can easily get confused on your eligibility to apply  under the Express Entry System. We will list some basics for you below. 

According to Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), Express Entry is a system put in place to “manage applications for permanent residence under these federal economic immigration programs.” These economic immigration programs include the Federal Skilled Workers Program, the Federal Skilled Trades Program, and the Canada Experience Class.

Requirements for eligibility vary depending on the class you wish to apply under, though for all programs you must be legally admissible to Canada and be intending to live in a province or territory other than Quebec. As a candidate, you have to achieve a minimum score on the Comprehensive Ranking System. Points can be scored based on age, education, language ability, certifications, Canadian and non-Canadian work experience.

Find below some of the major requirements for each of the three economic programs:


Federal Skilled Workers Program.

According to IRCC, if you’re hoping to become a permanent resident through the Federal Skilled Workers Program, you must first meet the minimum requirements for work experience, language ability, and education.

Work experience must be a year of full-time or equivalent part-time paid work in the same job within the last 10 years, and the job must be of skill type 0 or skill levels A or B of the 2011 National Occupational Classification. The requirements for language include proof of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 7 in the form of IRCC-approved language test results from within the last two years. For education, applicants need to present a Canadian secondary (high school) or post-secondary certificate, diploma or degree, or a completed foreign credential with an assessment of that credential from an IRCC-approved agency that shows its equivalency to a comparable Canadian credential.

Assessed applications are based on federal skilled worker points. IRCC assigns points based on the following factors:

  • skills in English and/or French
  • education
  • work experience
  • age
  • presence or absence of a valid job offer, and
  • how well the applicant will adapt to live in Canada.

Applicants are expected to proof that they have sufficient funds to support themselves and their families. The other option is having a valid job offer from an eligible Canadian employer to work legally in Canada.


Federal Skilled Trades Program.

According to IRCC, skilled workers for the Federal Skilled Trades Program must fulfill requirements for the minimum work experience and language ability.

Work experience must include at least two years of full-time work experience (or equivalent part-time work experience) within the last five years in a skilled trade. Applicants must prove that they have experience carrying out the duties of an eligible skilled trade outlined by the National Occupation Classification (NOC) in the Major Groups 72 or 82, or 92, or Minor Groups 632 or 633.

The scores for the language ability is lower than those for the skilled workers program: CLB 5 for speaking and listening, and CLB 4 for reading and writing. These results must come from an IRCC-approved language test.

Applicants must also have either an offer of full-time employment for a full year minimum or be certified in their skilled trade by a Canadian provincial or territorial authority. Individual provinces /territories have specific requirements regarding trades qualifications and the process for assessment, so finding out how the program works in the province/territory where you wish to live is important.


Canadian Experience Class.

To be eligible under the Canada Experience Class, IRCC specifies that you must meet the minimum required work experience and language ability.

Minimum work experience is 12 months of skilled work experience (or equivalent in part-time), inside Canada with the proper authorization, within the three years before applying for PR under this category. This work must comply with the requirements of the National Occupation Classification for one of the following: managerial jobs (NOC skill level 0), professional jobs (NOC skill type A), or technical jobs and skilled trades (NOC skill type B). The applicant must also be able to demonstrate that their work experience has fulfilled the duties detailed by the NOC.

Minimum language levels are Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 7 for NOC 0 or A jobs or CLB 5 for NOC B jobs, with results gotten from an IRCC approved language test.

Although a job offer increases your CRS score, not having one doesn’t mean you won’t be selected. As  immigration professionals, our job now becomes to highlight and emphasize the best qualities of our applicants to give them better chances to receive ITAs during the EE and PNP draws. I am always looking forward to helping people process applications through the Express Entry System. Hopefully, this write-up has given you some hope.  

|| How much money do You need for express entry? ||

If you are invited to apply for Express Entry then you must have proof that you have the money required to sustain you and any family members you intend on bringing to Canada.

Express Entry Fees

New fee effective April 30, 2020 ($CAN)


Your Application (Processing fee ($825) and right of permanent residence fee ($500))


Your Application fee (without Right of Permanent Residence Fee)


Include your spouse or partner (Processing fee ($825) and right of permanent residence fee ($500))


Include your spouse or partner (without Right of Permanent Residence fee

$225 Per Child

Include a dependent child


Right of Permanent Resdience fee (may be paid at a later date)

Proof Of Funds

Funds required per family members($CAN)

Proof of Funds refer to having the amount listed below readily available to you in liquidated form. Equity on real estate or borrowed money do not count as proof of funds.

Number of Family Members

Funds required in Canadian dollars















For each additional family member


If your spouse is coming with you, you can present funds in joint account as proof of funds (POF). 

You are required to get official letters from any banks or financial institutions where your funds are kept.

Letter(s) must

  • be printed on the financial institution’s letterhead
  • include their contact information (address, telephone number and email address)
  • list outstanding debts such as credit card debts and loans
  • include your name
  • include, for each current bank and investment account, the
    • account numbers
    • date each account was opened
    • current balance of each account
    • average balance for the past 6 months

|| What is my canada crs score? ||


The maximum age points awarded to an individual is 100 points (with a spouse or common-law partner), or 110 points (without a spouse or common-law partner. The maximum number of points in each category can be achieved if you fall within the age bracket of 20 – 29 years old.

Those who fall under 17 years of age, or over 45 (both 0 points) receive the minimum number of points for age. For those between the ages of 17 and 45, the number of points awarded varies across the age spectrum, peaking at ages 20 – 29.

Level of Education

Your education level carries a maximum of 150 points. Points differ between those with a spouse or common-law partner and those without. For those with spouses, points are awarded slightly lesser.

  • Less than secondary or high school equivalent: 0 points
  • Secondary school or high school equivalent: 30 points
  • One-year post-secondary program credential: 90 points
  • Two-year post-secondary program credential: 98 points
  • Post-secondary program credential of 3+ years: 120 points
  • Two or more post-secondary program credentials, at least one of which lasting 3+ years: 128 points
  • Master’s level university credential, or an entry-to-practice professional degree for an occupation a) listed at NOC Level A, and b) requires licensing by a provincial regulatory body: 135 points
  • University-level credential at the Doctoral level: 150 points

Official Language Proficiency

Reading, Writing, Speaking and Listening are four subcategories of the Language ability evaluation requirement. These subcategories carry a maximum point of 32 (with a spouse or common-law partner) or 34 (without a spouse or common-law partner).

The maximum number of points an individual can be awarded after the addition of the subcategories is 128 points (with a spouse or common-law partner) and 136 (without a spouse or common-law partner).

Points are awarded based on CLB level. Those who have achieved CLB 10 or higher are awarded the maximum number of 32/34 points (depending on whether you have a spouse or common-law partner).

Second Official Language

For the second official language proficiency, the sub-categories are the same as the first, having a maximum number of points of 22 or 24. Having or not having a spouse or common-law partner can determines the maximum points you receive.

Canadian Work Experience

Canadian work experience is awarded up to a maximum of 70 points (with a spouse/common-law partner) and 80 points (without a spouse/common-law partner) for five years or more. For those without a spouse or common-law partner, the points system works differently. Let’s take a look:

  • Less than a year: 0 points
  • 1 year: 40 points
  • 2 years: 53 points
  • 3 years: 64 points
  • 4 years: 72 points
  • 5 years or more: 80 points

This concludes this subsection. In summary, for this section, you can score a maximum of : 460 points (with a spouse/common-law partner) and 500 points (without a spouse/common-law partner)

Sponsors or common-law factors (If applicable )

Now, we’re aware not everyone has a spouse or common-law partner, so if this doesn’t apply to you, feel free to skip the following subsections entirely. If it does, then read on:

Spouse / Common-Law partner’s Level Of Education

This category ranges from 0 -10 points. The maximum-level categories are Master’s Degree university level, and university-credential at Doctoral level, both  10 points. To see how your spouse/common-law partner would rank, check the IRCC table.

Spouse / Common-Law partner’s Official Language  Proficiency 

Similar to the official languages proficiency section which comprises of four different categories (reading, writing, talking and listening), your spouse/common-law partner can be awarded up to five points, with a maximum score of 20 points.

Spouse / Common-Law partner’s Canadian Work Experience 

Your spouse/common-law partner can be awarded up to 10 points for this section, which applies to five years or more Canadian work experience. Points awarded are as follows:

  • Less than a year: 0 points
  • 1 year: 5 points
  • 2 years: 7 points
  • 3 years: 8 points
  • 4 years: 9 points
  • 5+ years: 10 points

Your spouse/common-law partner can score up to a maximum of 40 points in this section, bringing your score up to a maximum of 500 points (core/human capital factors + spouse/common-law partner factors).

Skills Transferability Factors

This final section for the Express Entry 2015’s CRS criteria covers your level of education, Canadian work experience, Foreign work experience and relevant qualifications for trade occupations. Education is the first subsection for skill transfer-ability and it is based on two factors. These are:

i) a post-secondary degree with good official language proficiency and

ii) a post-secondary degree with Canadian work experience.

100 points is the maximum you can score for this subsection (a maximum of 50 points for each section) and the points awarded varies depending on your level of education.

Education (With A Post Secondary Degree & with Good Official Language Proficiency) 

For the FSW and CEC categories, the CLB 7 is the minimum for the language proficiency result.  You can score the maximum 50 points under education if you have a CLB 9 or more for your official language proficiency, and the highest level of education (two or more post-secondary education program credentials, at least one of which lasting three years or longer).

Education (With A Post Secondary Degree and Canadian Work Experience) 

Your educational level combined with the number of years of  work experience in Canada can give you up to a maximum of 50 points, under this section.

Foreign Work Experience (With Official Language Proficiency) 

Your foreign work experience can give you a maximum of 50 points. However, to achieve this, your  language proficiency is taken into account. Like the sub-section for education, you must have a language proficiency of CLB 9 or over to score the maximum number of points, plus 3+ years of foreign work experience.

Canadian Working Experience + Foreign Work Experience 

Under this section, you can be awarded a maximum of 50 points if you have up to 3+ years of foreign work experience (like the last section), combined with the maximum 2+ years of Canadian work experience.

Certification Of Qualifications (Applies To trade Occupation with Official Language Proficiency)

If you have a CLB 5+ on all of your first official language abilities combined with a certificate of qualification, you will be awarded 25 points.  If you have a certificate of qualification combined with a CLB 7+ on all four first official language abilities, you will be awarded the maximum 50 points.

The subtotal for this section is 600 points.

  • Additional  points can be awarded for:
  • Arranged employment
  • Provincial or territorial nomination

The maximum you can be awarded for the Express Entry 2015 Comprehensive Ranking System is (CRS) 1200points

How we can help you get into express entry

An ITA is usually given under the Express Entry Program to profiles that provide complete and accurate information/documentation. Without an ITA, you are unable to apply for permanent residence through the Express Entry Program. You have to be selected from a pool of applicants who are competing for an invitation to apply.

Our job is to make your profile STAND OUT from the crowd. We will assess your portfolio, highlight the best aspects of your application, and make sure that you are positioned to obtain the highest eligible score! This way, we maximize your chances of getting an invitation.

In addition, if you are selected, we are there to assist you with the complicated application process, including submitting your application in a timely manner for you to obtain your Canadian Permanent Residence.

  1. We assist our clients in putting together the  required documents, and assessments.
  2. You get to know your CRS score because we will calculate the points based on the Online ranking system.
  3. Our legal team will guide the client from the beginning to the point of getting selected.
  4. We will assist in getting the client’s profile registered. 
  5. We will build a very strong case, outlining the key points of the application based on our experience and expertise.

|| Get in touch with us today ||

The first step towards moving to Canada is to get an assessment of your specific situation. Call us today at +1.416.417.1903 for an assessment to see if you are eligible to move to Canada, or fill out our online assessment form.

FORM Submitted

Your application has been receive. One of our consultants will get in touch with you