Canadian Family Sponsorship

We have provided the following information below for you to learn the basic requirements for Canadian Family Sponsorship. You may fill out our immigration assessment form and we will get back to you to discuss your eligibility and options.

Call: +1 416-417-1903


|| Canadian Family Sponsorship ||

Canada is still accepting and processing family sponsorship applications.


  • Family class immigration has been the least affected by the travel restrictions.
  • Immediate family members of citizens and permanent residents are still allowed to enter the country, spousal and common-law sponsorship applications are being processed under their normal times, with IRCC allowing some flexibility in submitting incomplete applications.
  • If you’re traveling by air, make sure to follow all airline requirements and pass a health check conducted by airlines. Anyone who shows symptoms of COVID-19 will not be allowed to enter Canada by air.
  • When you arrive in Canada, they will assess your health before you leave the port of entry. You must have a plan to quarantine for 14 days when you arrive in Canada. This is mandatory, even if you have no symptoms. If you don’t have a plan, you should not travel to Canada.
  • At this time, only people who provide essential services, for example, truck drivers who regularly cross the border to maintain the flow of goods, are exempt from the quarantine requirements.

|| Who is Eligible for Family Class Sponsorship ||

Canada prides itself in Family unification and the Family sponsorship route is a way to reunite families. The Canadian Government tends to prioritize the processing of sponsorship applications. There are many options for family members that are Canadian citizens or Permanent residents to sponsor a family member living abroad, to become a Permanent resident in Canada.

Shersom is the perfect place to start your immigration journey.

Eligibility Criteria for a Sponsor

In addition to being a Canadian citizen or Permanent resident, the sponsor must also fulfill a few other requirements in order to be eligible.

The sponsor must:

  1. Prove that they will be able to financially support their family member and any dependent, if necessary
  2. Enter into an agreement with the Government of Canada or Quebec, as well as the sponsored relative, where the sponsor will agree to support the family member for a certain amount of time. The sponsored relative must make an effort to support themselves, as well.
  3. Either reside in Canada prove their intention to live in Canada when the sponsored relative arrives in Canada
  4. Be at least 18 years old
  5. Not be incarcerated or charged with a serious offence
  6. Not be bankrupt.
  7. Not be under a removal order if a Permanent Resident


Number of Immigrants Receiving PR Through Family Sponsorship







Frequently asked Questions Under Family Sponsorship in Canada

Certain of your relatives can live, study and work in Canada if they become permanent residents of Canada. You can sponsor certain relatives to come to Canada if you’re at least 18 years old and a:

  • Canadian citizen or,
  • person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act or,
  • Permanent resident of Canada. 

If you are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada, age 18 or over, you can sponsor certain family members to become Canadian permanent residents. If you sponsor a relative to come to Canada as a permanent resident, you are responsible for supporting your relative financially when he or she arrives.

Once your PR  application has been received by the IRCC , you will receive an Acknowledgment of Receipt (AOR), which serves as a confirmation that your application file has been created. An “AOR date” is referred to as the date from when your 6 months intended processing time begins.

To be a sponsor:

  • You must be 18 years of age or older.
  • You and the sponsored relative must sign a sponsorship agreement that commits you to provide financial support for your relative, if necessary. This agreement also says the person becoming a permanent resident will make every effort to support her or himself.
  • You must provide financial support for a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner for three years from the date they become a permanent resident.
  • You must provide financial support for a dependent child for 10 years, or until the child turns 25, whichever comes first.

You can sponsor:

  • Spouse – Outside, Inland, Same-Sex
  • Common Law partner – (restrictions apply)
  • Conjugal partner – (restrictions apply)
  • Dependent children
  • parents – (Additional conditions apply)
  • grandparents – (Additional conditions apply)
  • brothers or sisters, nephews or nieces, granddaughters or grandsons who are orphaned, under 18 years of age and not married or in a common-law relationship
  • another relative of any age or relationship but only under specific conditions
  • accompanying relatives of the above (for example, spouse, partner and dependent children).

A subsection of the Family Class immigration category is the Spousal Sponsorship program. Under this program, a Canadian citizen or Permanent resident may sponsor a spouse or common-law partner for Canadian permanent residence. Both the Canadian citizen or permanent resident (also called the ‘sponsor’) and the foreign national (the ‘sponsored person’) must be approved by IRCC in order for the sponsored person to receive a visa. Eligibility requirements under this immigration program shows that the sponsor and sponsored person must prove that their relationship qualifies under one of three categories: Spouse, Common-law Partner, Conjugal Partner. Canada also recognizes same-sex couples under their eligibility criteria for spousal sponsorship. Inland sponsorship is when the couple is together in Canada and the foreign spouse/common-law partner has temporary status in Canada, either as a worker, student, or visitor. An Outland application is generally pursued when the sponsored partner is living outside of Canada.

Dependent children, both natural and adopted, may be sponsored to live with their parent(s) as Permanent residents in Canada. The child sponsorship program is a subsection of the Family Class of immigration. To receive a visa through this immigration program, a relationship must be established between the sponsor and the sponsored person.  Adoption proceedings in the final phases of processing, give right to individuals to begin sponsoring their child before the adoption has been finalized.

|| Get in touch with us today ||

The first step towards moving to Canada is to get an assessment of your specific situation. Call us today at +1.416.417.1903 for an assessment to see if you are eligible to move to Canada, or fill out our online assessment form.