How To Obtain A Student Visa In Canada With A Spouse

Student Visa In Canada With A Spouse
How To Obtain A Student Visa In Canada With A Spouse?

Many international students want to study in Canada and some of them are married or have families who they want to bring along. This is where the question arises, “Can my partner work in Canada while I’m studying?” Yes, they can! Canada’s Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Department (IRCC) lets the partners/spouses of international students’ apply for a work permit. This is called a temporary student visa in Canada with a spouse that allows you to bring them with you.

There is a common notion where couples planning to come to Canada in this manner believe that they must apply separately for their student visa and spousal open work permit. This misconception often stems from incorrect advice given by immigration consultants. 

In reality, the best method is for couples to apply for a student visa and spousal work permit at the same time. 

As an immigration consultant for student visas, we have provided a guide with all the requirements ‌ you need to know before applying for a student visa in Canada with a spouse. 

Understand The Basics

A student visa in Canada with a spouse is like a special pass that lets you study in this wonderful country while also bringing your spouse along. This falls under the “Family Class Sponsorship” category, which ‌means you and your spouse can explore Canada’s fantastic culture, top-notch education and breathtaking scenery together during this exciting journey.

Steps to Apply for a Student Visa in Canada with A Spouse

1. Step 1: Research and Planning

Before diving into the application process, it’s crucial to plan your study journey in Canada carefully. This includes deciding on the program, selecting the right course based on your financial situation, choosing a suitable university, and considering the needs of your spouse or children, if applicable. Seeking advice from experienced professionals can be immensely helpful who can help you navigate the intricacies of study and work in Canada. Additionally, make sure to understand the language proficiency tests required for university admission in Canada.

2. Step 2: Language Proficiency Tests

To study in Canada, you’ll typically need to demonstrate your proficiency in English. Commonly accepted tests include TOEFL, IELTS, PTE and others. Every university might expect you to reach certain scores on language tests. So, it’s really important to get scores that are higher than what they ask for to get into the university.

3. Step 3: Application Submission

These application forms are your gateway to enrolling in your desired program and to start studying in Canada. Be sure to complete all the required details accurately and submit your application before the specified deadline.

4. Step 4: Wait for the Decision and Travel to Canada

If your chosen university says Yes, you will get a letter confirming your acceptance. If your spouse has also applied for a work permit, he/she will also  receive their approval confirmation separately, typically about two weeks after yours. While waiting, you can research and plan for your stay in Canada. Once both your college and visa applications are approved, you can make arrangements to travel to Canada. Your spouse can join you once they receive their Canadian work permit.

Eligibility Requirements for a Student Visa in Canada with a Spouse

a) Minimum Marriage Length Requirement

The requirement for a minimum marriage length is a critical aspect when applying for a study permit in Canada, along with a work permit for your spouse. This condition is in place to prevent fraudulent marriages solely to gain a student visa in Canada with a spouse. To be eligible for this combined application, your marriage must have a minimum duration of 1 year.

b) Marriage Documents and Proof

When you’re applying for both study and work permits and you want your spouse to join you, you’ll have to show proof that you’re married. One crucial document for this is your marriage certificate, which is an official document from your respective country that proves you’re married. Additionally, including personal proof such as photographs of significant moments in your relationship can strengthen your application.

c) Proof of Ongoing Relationship

To demonstrate that your relationship is genuine and ongoing, you’ll need to submit additional evidence. This evidence should establish that you and your spouse currently share a household in the same residence. It’s important to note that separated or divorced couples are ‌not eligible to apply for these permits.

d) Proof of Funds for Financial Support

While your spouse may work, you still need to demonstrate financial stability. Accepted proof typically includes bank statements and documents related to any properties you may own. 

In A Nutshell…

In partnership with Shersom Immigration Consulting, navigating the intricacies of obtaining a student visa in Canada with a spouse becomes not just an achievable dream, but a well-guided reality. With their expertise and support, you’ll find the path to your Canadian adventure smoother and more accessible.

Remember, the journey begins with understanding the eligibility criteria, embracing the application process, and preparing for life in Canada. With your student visa and your spouse’s open work permit in hand, you can embark on this exciting adventure together.

Follow Us On




Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *